Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)Dune by Frank Herbert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my first time reading Dune, although I did watch the 1984 movie beforehand. The book is sometimes described as "hard going" and I agree with that at the start. There is this entire world and LOTS of names and plots within plots within plots. If you can persevere and get your head around the who-is-who then you're in for a book full of complexities of characters and with a consistent tension that is quite remarkable to be sustained over such a long book.
I've also seen some people writing the comparisons between Dune and the "war on terror", but it should be remembered that this was written in 1965 so any comparisons are just coincidence... and maybe a little spooky.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...